Kerala Technological university KTU First year B.tech Syllabus for PH110 Engineering Physics Lab is given By
Course No. : PH110
Course Name: Engineering Physics Lab
L-T-P-Credits: 0-0-2-1Year of Introduction: 2015
Course Objectives:This course is designed (i) to impart practical knowledge about some of the phenomena they have studied in the Engineering Physics course and (ii) to develop the experimental skills of the students.
List Of Exercises / Experiments (Minimum Of 8 Mandatory)
1. Study of application of Cathode Ray Oscilloscope (CRO) for Frequency and Amplitude measurements. Lissajeous figures (useful for different types of polarized light.)
2. Temperature measurement – Thermocouple
3. Measurement of strain using strain gauge and Wheatstones bridge.
Waves, Oscillations and Ultrasonics
4. Wave length and velocity measurement of ultrasonic waves in a liquid using ultrasonic diffractometer.
5. The LCR Circuit – Forced and damped harmonic oscillations.
6. Meldes string apparatus. Measurement of frequency in the transverse and longitudinal mode.
7. Wave length measurement of a monochromatic source of light using Newton’s Rings method.
8. Determination of refractive index of a liquid using Newton’s Rings apparatus.
9. Determination of diameter of a thin wire or thickness of a thin strip of paper using air wedge method.
10. To determine the slit or pinhole width.
11. To measure wavelength using a millimeter scale as a grating.
12. Determination the wavelength of He-Ne laser or any standard laser using diffraction grating.
13. To determine the wavelength of monochromatic light using grating.
14. Determination of dispersive power and resolving power of a plane transmission grating.
15. Laurent’s Half Shade Polarimeter -To observe the rotation of the plane of polarization of monochromatic light by sugar solution and hence to determine the concentration of solution of optically active substance.
16. Kerr Effect - To demonstrate the Kerr effect in nitrobenzene solution and to measure the light intensity as a function of voltage across the Kerr cell using photo detector.
17. To measure the light intensity of plane polarised light as a function of the analyzer position.
Laser & Photonics
18. To determine the speed of light in air using laser.
19. Calculate the numerical aperture and study the losses that occur in optical fiber cable.
20. Determination of the particle size of lycopodium powder.
21. I-V characteristics of solar cell
22. To measure Planck’s constant using photo electric cell.
23. Measurement of wavelength of laser using grating.
1. Rao, B. S, Krishna, K. V., Engineering Physics Practicals, Laxmi Publications
2. Koser, A. A., Practical Engineering Physics, Nakoda Publishers and Printers India Ltd
3. Avadhanulu, M. N., Dani, A. A., Pokley, P. M., Experiments in Engineering Physics, S.Chand & Co.
4. Gupta, S. K., Engineering Physics Practicals, Krishna Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.
5. Sasikumar, P. R. Practical Physics, PHI.
Hence the syllabus for ph110 engineering physics lab for kerala technical university